Monday, April 11, 2011

Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

The Hangover 
By Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec



I chose this image based on the colors and representation of what the image means to me.
The image hits me close to home because to me it reminds me of my mother.

The picture is of Suzanne Valadon whom she was a model for Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec and in return he gave her painting lessons. Henri was known for frequenting taverns and drawing from those experiences.
An early injury to his legs resulted in stunted growth later in life.  He began painting during the healing process. Years of taunting of his short stature started his drinking which eventually led to him having an alcoholic problem. It also led to his death.

The purpose of “The Hangover” was to show everyday life at the time and it symbolizes how Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec becomes such a great painter.

The media is an oil paint on canvas. The painting itself looks almost as if it he was thinking about it rather than actually being there in human form.  The colors seem to me that they are muted and depressing. It also looks more as if the design was free drawn first then it was painted. 
   
This painting would appeal to an audience that prefers a less realistic and more of a caricature type genre
In my opinion this is not a panting I would put on my wall, but it still has a unique stance of imagery to which I can personally relate.   

2 comments:

  1. You did a good job applying the rhetorical situation to this painting. I also like how you gave some background information on the artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. took me forever to think of what I wanted to say.

    ReplyDelete